COVID-19 Policies & Practices
The health and wellbeing of our Maalaea Surf Resort guests is our number one priority. With this in mind, over the last several months we have updated and enhanced our cleaning procedures, modified our office and facility practices and completed deep cleans on each of our units in preparation for reopening. Additional information can be found below, as well as updates to our reservation policies and travel requirements to Hawaii.
COVID-19 Reservation Policies
Through the end of 2020, we are suspending our usual pre-payment policy. All new and existing reservations will be held with a deposit with the final payment due seven days prior to your arrival.
In addition, through the end of 2020, we are suspending our current cancellation policy. You may cancel or reschedule your visit without penalty, for any reason due to COVID-19. A nominal credit card fee will continue to apply. For additional reservation policies please follow this link.
Hawaii Travel Restrictions
Our Hawaii’s governor has announced that the mandatory 14-day quarantine currently in effect, will be waived beginning October 15th for travelers with proof of a negative coronavirus test within 72 hours of their arrival. Current approved testing sites include CVS and Kaiser Permanenete. Many of the airline carriers are now dong testing for their travelers as well. The state will also accept test results from other sources as long as they meet the DOH testing parameters. It is important that you use a test with the proper test parameters. If your test does not meet the DOH testing parameters you will be subject to a 14-day quarantine.
Hawaii’s Department of Health is updating and finalizing specific procedures on a daily basis. We highly recommend that you visit this website for the most up to date information prior to your travels.
Steps to take prior to Trip
There are five steps that need to be taken prior to your trip.
- Register with the State of Hawaii: Simply go to the “Safe Travels” website and fill out your trip details.
- Get a negative COVID test result up to 72 hours before your flight. Once you have these results you need to upload them into the Safe Travels website.
- Fill out The State of Hawaii Travel and Health Form which can be located in the “Safe Travels” website. This must be completed prior to arrival.
- Fill out the County of Maui questionnaire. In addition, the County of Maui requires all travelers to provide additional information.
- Confirm your negative COVID status upon arrival. After your arrival in Hawaii you will have your temperature checked, and you will need to present the QR code from your previously completed health questionnaire to an airport representative. Once your negative COVID test is confirmed, you will be free to enjoy your vacation in Hawaii!
Important Note: During this Pre-Travel Testing Program, all guests staying at the Maalaea Surf Resort must have a negative coronavirus test upon arrival. We are not an approved facility for quarantine. Approved hotels for quarantine in Maui County can be found here.
Sanitary Practices & Protocols
The Maalaea Surf has instituted many changes and modifications to our operating procedures in response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. These include appropriate social distancing by staff and the use of face coverings, sanitary check-in and check-out procedures, housekeeping PPE and hand hygiene and enhanced unit cleaning procedures. We have included a more detailed list below.
- Over the last several months, each unit went through a thorough deep clean and sanitization process.
- During your stay our housekeeping staff will wear masks and gloves which are discarded upon leaving each unit. They will be following all the CDC guidelines in regards to cleaning recommendations. They will also be using properly approved disinfectants, and follow frequent hand washing protocols.
- Upon arrival you will notice that your unit was freshly cleaned just prior to your arrival. Our housekeeping staff utilizes a Greenworkspro disinfectant sprayer with jettflow technology in our units to thoroughly disinfect each unit between guests.
- Your bed linens are professionally laundered. We are now triple sheeting each bed for added protection and all decorative comforters and pillows which cannot be appropriately cleaned have been removed.
- All high touch items are specifically disinfected.
- You may opt out of additional housekeeping services during your stay if you should wish.
- All guests will be asked to maintain appropriate social distancing or wear a mask when maintaining this distance is not possible with other (non-family member) guests.
- Our property furniture will be spaced to reinforce this distancing protocol. Guests are asked to maintain this spacing.
- Chairs, loungers and tables will be regularly cleaned and disinfected.
- Our pools will be open. Appropriate social distancing and mask wearing should be employed in these areas.
- Grills will be open. Appropriate social distancing and mask wearing should be employed in these areas.
- Our onsite laundry facilities will be open as usual. Appropriate social distancing and mask wearing should be employed in these areas.
- All high touch areas will be regularly cleaned and disinfected, such as railings and door handles.
- Our grounds crew will be practicing social distancing and will be using face coverings and appropriate hand hygiene.
From the Kahului Airport it is a quick and easy 20 minute trip traveling across the center of the island. Your rental car pickup will determine your starting spot.
If you pick your car up at the airport car rental locations, you will travel SE on Lanui Cir out of the airport. Lanui Cir turns into Keolani Pl. At the light turn left onto Aalele St. and follow the signs to Airport Rd where you will turn right. Stay on Airport Rd which will become HI-380 for about 1.4 miles. Use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto HI-311. Travel 6.5 miles across the island until you reach a large intersection. Get in the right hand lane and turn right onto N Kihei Rd. Immediately get into the left lane and in .1miles turn left onto S Kihei Rd. In 400 feet you will take the first possible right and than a quick left into the parking lot of the Ma’alaea Surf.
If your rental car location is not at the airport you can ask for help or simply map the driving directions on your phone. It is impossible to get lost for very long on Maui. It is an island after all! Just remember, Ma’alaea Surf Resort is on the South Shore just NW of Kihei.